first_img Sharing is caring! 43 Views   one comment EducationLocalNewsPrimary Education ministry recognises the contribution of long serving early childhood educators by: – December 2, 2011 Share Sharecenter_img Share Linda Vigilant receiving an award for 46 years in Early Childhood development from Honourable Petter St. JeanRoseau, Dominica – December 2, 2011…The Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development on Wednesday officially recognised the contribution of long serving members of the early childhood education sector. A total of forty-one (41) early childhood educators were recognised for over 20 years of service in the sector. Among them, three early childhood educators, Valerie Alleyne, Euraldine Victor and Linda Vigilante, were recognised for over forty years of teaching service.During the recognition ceremony the ministry also highlighted the significance of the recently piloted High Scope Curriculum, a developmentally appropriate curriculum for preschoolers. The High Scope Curriculum allows children to actively participate in their learning with the necessary guidance and support from adults.“Its philosophy is in active participatory learning, meaning that children learn by being involved in meaningful exercises,” said Veda George, Assistant Education Officer-Early Childhood Education, as she addressed the Early Childhood Development National Symposium and recognition ceremony at the Arawak House of Culture.“In the High Scope classroom, children actively construct knowledge and truths. It does not mean that children are just left to learn on their own. What this means is that children learn based on their levels of development,” George said, adding that ‘adult scaffolding’ was very important in the classroom.“The adults are expected to carefully monitor the children and plan for them based on their levels of development and not their age,” she noted.Dominica adopted the High Scope Curriculum following a 2007 Ministry of Education and UNICEF survey which revealed that 75% of preschool centres were not following an appropriate early childhood curriculum. According to the survey, the centres were not providing the “variety and depth of learning experiences that children need in their early years.”Since then, the Bagatelle Preschool, the Canefield Social Centre Preschool, Grand Fond Social Centre Preschool, Mahaut Preschool, S.W.O.R.D Preschool IN Grandbay and the Social Centre Model Preschool in Roseau have fully implemented the curriculum.The Petite Savanne and St. Joseph preschools will adopt the curriculum this school year. By: Dionne Durand Tweetlast_img read more

first_imgThe 26-year-old resident Julio Parejasustained hack wounds on the body, a police report showed. Bacolod City – A man washacked in Barangay Balingasag, Bago City, Negros Occidental. According to police investigators,Pareja was on his way home when Maquiling hacked him on Dec. 25. But the motivein the incident was not immediately established. Police identified the suspect as35-year-old resident Jun Troy Maquiling.center_img Pareja was rushed to the Bago CityHospital but was later transferred to the South Bacolod General Hospital herefor medical treatment.     Officers of the Bago City policestation conducted a manhunt operation against Maquiling, who fled after theincident./PNlast_img read more

first_imgA Nigerian player has been fired by a club in Slovenia for impregnating the daughter of the president of the second division outfit after just six months with the side.The player, whose name has been withheld, said he was fired for ‘gross misconduct and indiscipline’ over the pregnancy which he has claimed full responsibility.Four Nigerians are registered with second tier clubs in Slovenia with Bede Osuji, Temitope Nelson, Gerald Chiyoke and Sulaiman Adedoja playing in that league but it is uncertain which of them is involved in the pregnancy issue.The player, who fears public backlash over the situation, has returned to Nigeria after his ordeal and he is worried over the girlfriend and her pregnancy.The player is considering FIFA action against the club following the decision to sack him over reasons he feels are unjustified after joining the club just in May.” I signed a three year deal with the option of another year but last month I ran into trouble when my girlfriend who happens to be the daughter of the president said she was pregnant for me”, he said.The club got to know about it and summoned me for a meeting. I got there and admitted that I am responsible for the pregnancy and I was told to stay at home and not to be seen around the club premises until I am instructed to return.A week later I was called to the office and told that my agent has been informed about their plans to terminate my contract for gross misconduct and indiscipline. The news came to me as a surprise because I have not been found wanting in any area since I arrived the club six months ago”.The Nigerian player says he is considering legal action at FIFA over the claims of the club that he went beyond the boundary set for players of the club.“My agent called me up and said we should file a case with FIFA that he has a recording of the president saying my contract was terminated for having an affair with his daughter. She’s an adult for God sake, we both love each other and decided to have a child.Now I don’t know what will happen to her and the child since I’m back in Nigeria. They have forced her to block me on all social media platforms so we have not been communicating. The few friends I made at the club are also scared of speaking to me about her apparently they don’t want to run into trouble with the team. I’m confused right now”, he concluded. Source: Ghana Soccernetlast_img read more

first_img For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory “I had the pleasure of meeting him several times,” Rivers said of Lewis. “I’ll tell you a quick story. I was playing for the Atlanta Hawks and I got to know Andy Young really well and he was running for governor. And I went on a campaign trip with John Lewis and Andy Young – just think about that. I was 26, maybe, 27?” Rivers said via Zoom.“And we flew to Albany, Georgia, of all places. And Andrew Young gave a speech at an all-white church. And he was fantastic. It was an absolutely amazing speech. And the crowd was going crazy.“And we get on the plane and we’re talking and Andrew Young turns to me and says – they used to call me ‘Young Doc’ – and he says, ‘Young Doc, what did you think about the speech?’ And I jokingly said, ‘Well, Mr. Young, I thought the speech was great, but I don’t think you’re gonna get one vote from that church.’ And everybody started laughing.“And John Lewis, he says, ‘Well, we’re not trying to get all of them. We’re just trying to get one at a time. And, eventually, it will be all of them.’ I thought that was just one powerful statement.”Rivers also considered Lewis’ legacy in terms of the country’s current state of affairs. Clippers’ Paul George: ‘If I make shots, this series could be a little different’ “What’s amazing,” Rivers said, “is when you think about right now, some of the stuff that John Lewis was fighting for, we’re still fighting for.“Voter suppression right now is at an all-time high … we have a group of people who are trying to get people not to vote. Latinos, Blacks and young people are the targets. That’s who they’re trying to get not to vote. It’s amazing when you think about how long ago that was, and yet we’re still fighting that fight.”Rivers is a regular supporter of get-out-the-vote initiatives, including in October, when he arranged for a voter registration booth in the parking lot of the Clippers’ training facility in Playa Vista.As for Harrell’s departure – which will require him to quarantine again upon his reentry into the bubble – Rivers steered clear of specifics.“Things happen in our lives, so we’ve just got to leave it there,” he said, before adding later, “it’s obviously a personal matter at home that he did need to go to. So we’re just going to wait for him. Like when he needs to get back, he’ll be back.”The Clippers are preparing for their restart opener against the Lakers on July 30 without a full roster: Neither Landry Shamet, Marcus Morris Sr. nor Ivica Zubac has been documented in the bubble, the closed campus where 22 NBA teams and related personnel will stay for the duration of their seasons as a means of avoiding coronarvirus outbreaks.Related Articles With a couple hours of practice per day plus individual workouts in the evenings, basketball is front of mind again inside the bubble at Walt Disney World – but still, a social justice reckoning is unfurling, a pandemic rages and life doesn’t let up.Montrezl Harrell left the NBA’s closed campus Friday, sources confirmed shortly before he posted on Instagram: “Don’t worry Ma Ma your grandson on the way.”Later Friday evening, the world received news of Rep. John Lewis’ passing. A lion of civil rights and Congress, Lewis was the youngest and last survivor of the Big Six civil rights activists, a group led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Lewis was 80 years old.Before hitting the court with his team Saturday morning, Doc Rivers spoke of meeting Lewis on different occasions, and he shared something Lewis told him while on a campaign stop with Andrew Young, another civil rights icon, that has stuck with Rivers since. What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 center_img The Clippers have remained mum on those players’ whereabouts, but Paul George acknowledged the team isn’t at full strength while suggesting it’s not something he and his teammates can’t weather. Before the season was suspended March 11, the second-place Clippers were 44-20 and had used 29 starting lineups through 64 games – tied for the most in the NBA.“In terms of the guys, missing a couple of guys, you know, I think we’ve got a veteran group, and we’ve got guys that know what our mission is,” said George, who was averaging 21 points per game and shooting 43.2% from the floor through 42 games. “We’ve been down and missed guys pretty much all season long, so we’ve been filling it in. We’ve been holding it down until everybody has been available, and we plan on continuing to do so.” Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum Game 4 photos: Luka Doncic, Mavs shock Clippers in overtime Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more